Tuesday 15 September 2015

What English is Good English?

The English language is incredibly complex. Although it has some structure, this structure would often be applied to English in a rather illogical manner. English is a “fluid and democratic” language. It evolves and transmutes with civilization in order to make communication as trenchant as possible. Setting the English language in stone and creating a set of concrete rules will harm the language. Consequently English will no loner have the ability describe modern concepts or objects, thus it will no longer be a valuable communication tool. As result, people will seek another language, one that would make socializing and communication easier; in their modern lives.

In the past I would get an overwhelming sensation of guilt and shame when I would make grammatical mistakes, I liked to think of myself as a punctilious language purist. I sought to venerate the English language 'till I drew my last breath.

I have always had a profound admiration for the English language; I loved it as if it were my own. Clearly, I am not a native speaker; in fact I only learned English in the third grade. The English language has had an incredible impact on my life. It has filled it with ebullience and largess: enabled me to have friends, given me the ability to upbraid those who treated me unfairly and most importantly it has exposed me to cultures and ideologies derived from all around the world.


My plethora of respect towards the English language left me extremely circumspect towards my pejorative grammatical mistakes. I felt an obligation to preserve the pulchritude of the English language.

However now I have come to the realization that the outer beauty of the English language is pernicious because it has blinded us from its true yet latent beauty: it is the string connecting the whole world together. Besides, what is language? Language in its essence is communication. If we are able to effectively communicate in a manner that juxtaposes the rules of (any) language, who gets to say it is bad use of language? Back to my initial point, I am no longer ashamed of my mistakes. I was never given an instruction manual filled with do's and don’ts of the English language. To me it was an artistic journey that was influenced by others, yet some things I had to figure out on my own. So yes, I am human, and yes I will continue to make more grammatical mistakes, but I will take my time to devour the English language, to acknowledge my mistakes and to learn from them.

Now ladies and gentlemen, next time someone begs the question of

you will know exactly what to say.



No comments:

Post a Comment