Sunday 6 September 2015

Asalamalaykum

Hello, my name is Dana Alsuwaidi. Allow me to transport you to the vast Arabian Desert, Abu Dhabi to be exact. Abu Dhabi is where I was born and raised; it is my hometown. I shall attempt to relinquish my personality in the following paragraphs while simultaneously avoiding a verbose platitude of prose.

Hard work, it is the secret to leading a successful life. This is merely an incontrovertible fact! I do not believe in luck nor do I believe in depending on supernatural forces that can grant wishes. Passion is the secret to living a happy life. I have a zealous passion for justice. Due to my profound admiration for the legal system, I strive to become a lawyer in the future.

 I am a feminist; on retrospection I think I have always been a feminist. I believe it is unjust to treat people differently due to their gender. I am very vocal about my feministic opinions. The consequences, which may follow my liberal thoughts, do not daunt me. I contradict my culture on many grounds. My people fallaciously assume that I am a discordant member of society whose aim in life is to walk around the streets of New York topless. However, feminism is much more prodigious than that and it saddens me that people fail to see this. I want women to have the power to make their own choices regarding their future. I want them to have the power to make decisions for themselves regarding their education, their professional careers, and their financial independence. I want to abolish women’s fear of independence; I want to empower them in every aspect of their life.

Other than my opinions on society, politics is a subject that vexes me, yet leaves me craving more. Do not let stereotypes belie you into vilifying politics. Politics provides us with valuable knowledge about the world around us, and needles to say, knowledge is power!


Knowledge is heavily connected to language. The more languages you speak, the more knowledge you could gain and thus the more power you would possess. Language is often taken for granted; language has the power to connect people’s minds. It enables us to expand our knowledge and to develop. Through language we can build upon each other’s wisdom. Ironically, language and communication can create a barrier amongst people due to the manifold of languages that exist in the world. The panacea to this state of perplexity is to learn languages; this will ultimately obliterate those communication barrios. Language is feared due to its immense power: language gives eyes to those whom cannot see.

Well, thats me! See you later, Dana x

2 comments:

  1. This is an excellent first post. The idea that language, knowledge and power are intertwined resonates with me and will be a major focus in this course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I truly enjoyed reading your blog post and I admire how vocal you are about your feministic opinions. I know these kind of things aren't acknowledged in the Arab word, so I like how you think out of the box and do not adhere with what society has set out for you. Truly a touching post, and sparked inspiration in me.

    ReplyDelete